Happy New Year and Happy New Decade! How is it possible we are in 2020 already?
As we all say good-bye to 2019 and step into a new year and a new decade, it seems like the perfect time to stop, take a deep breath, and ponder a few things. Every now and then, it is worth it to push the “pause” button in life and go deep.
Turning the calendar to the next year is always sort of sobering for me. My thoughts go to the changes the past twelve months have brought, and more importantly, how those changes also changed me. Reflection can be a powerful tool to put a spotlight on our blessings and how fortunate we truly are. As we look back on the past year, we have the opportunity to reframe the disappointments, the unmet goals, and the failures.
As I push the 2019 “rewind” button, I am hit smack in the face with one overwhelming feeling, G-R-A-T-I-T-U-D-E! Did I travel the yellow brick road to Oz and enjoy a perfect year with all my wishes granted? NOPE. Did my efforts lead to accomplishing all the personal and professional goals I had mapped out for 2019? NOPE. So, why am I feeling surrounded by such a strong sense of gratitude?
Maybe because I can look in the ”rear view” mirror at 2019 and realize how truly blessed I am as I focus on the gifts I have received, rather than the disappointments. Here are a few that come to mind:
- Sadly, our youngest son moved to Minnesota in September after living near us for the past 6 years. But, our other son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters just moved back to Texas from California after 8 years! A GIFT BEYOND WORDS!
- Our sixth grandchild was born in August! A new precious life joins our family, and HE is healthy! A GIFT BEYOND WORDS!
- My husband had successful heart procedures, and is doing well after two years of life-threatening health issues. A GIFT BEYOND WORDS!
- I published my first book after many years of intensive work and research to get my thoughts into print. A GIFT BEYOND WORDS!
- I have been traveling around the country on my book tour and meeting amazing women who are embracing my book and its message! A GIFT BEYOND WORDS!
- My own loyal tribe of girlfriends have hosted book events for me in 5 states during the past year, showing me their support and love! A GIFT BEYOND WORDS!
In looking ahead to 2020, I see so much yet to do! So many goals yet to push towards! But, I am stepping into this new decade with a heart filled with GRATITUDE, and a spirit fueled by HOPE. Life is always going to be messy, difficult, and challenging. We can bank on it! But, in the midst of it all, we can sort through the crazy chaos and find the good stuff — the GIFTS! That is what will always carry us forward into the next day, the next year, and the next decade! LET 2019 GO! Replace your disappointments today with GRATITUDE for your GIFTS!